Monday, August 19, 2013

Oh-Fence Around my Heart!


My daughter had gone from being powerful to pitiful in a matter of weeks.

There were times I would half cringe, half cheer inside when she got mad during a game.  Once, I even saw her knock a girl clean off her feet by hammering the ball right at her chest.  Oh, it might look to some like it just “happened”, but I know that ball was aimed.  That was before.

You see, my girl actually played tougher and better when she got mad.  It might be that a few bad calls came from a ref during the volleyball game, or the coach of the other team might strategically try to “wear her out” when she was back row, so she couldn’t hit hard when she rotated to the front row, but my girl didn’t give in.  Players across the net who picked on her during a game just fueled her fire.

And now, that flame is barely an ember.  Extinguished by distance, new routines and strangers.  Doused by harsh words and ugly looks from girls who have chosen not to see the inner beauty of my dear child.

What hurts my daughter has hurt me as well.  These young “ladies,” many of whom I have yet to meet, have already hardened my heart.

Oh-fence around my heart, I hold you close to shield myself from a deeper hurt; your barbs are sharp and hold me prisoner.

Oh-fence around my heart, you block the wind of encouragement that fans my flame.

Oh-fence around my heart, I can’t get out; you keep me from growing and seeing God’s purpose and plan.

Sadly, we live in a world where people feel free to speak whatever is on their mind and heart.  Young “ladies” who do not even know us can tear us down with their opinions and make us feel less than God’s best.

And we take offense.

Sometimes, we give offense.  I have; spoken a word when it was uncalled for.  Yes.  I have given offense.

The root of that word, offense, comes from the word for scandal or “skandalon” which is a trap or snare laid for the enemy.

Interesting how satan can use other people’s sin of speaking their mind to lay a trap for us.  And we step right in. 

When we take the bait, when we get offended, satan wins.  He lied to us and made us feel bad about ourselves.  We got offended, mad and then get to sin more by having a pity party. 

1 Peter 5:8 says:
Be balanced and cautious at all times, for the enemy of yours (the devil) roams around like a lion roaring, seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

And John 8:44 says of the devil:
…He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is not truth in him.  When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

And yet, we believe what is said to us; whether whispered in our ears, or spoken by another person.  They are lies, not the truth of God.

But I am relieved when I remember that,

(even though)…the thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy, Jesus came that we may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, until it overflows.
John 10:10

And that God has a purpose and a plan for my life for prosperity and peace and not for evil, to give us hope in our final outcome.  (Jeremiah 29:11)

But in order to have that life, that joy and peace that God promises and died for us to have, we need to actively change the reflections of our heart and mind.

Oh-fence around my heart, I swing wide your gate to make a path for me to step boldly forward; your rusty hinges might creak, but they no longer contain me.

Oh-fence around my heart, I take a deep breath; my flames rise heavenward.


Oh-fence around my heart, I free you from my wounds; in your place, I plant flowers of fragrant grace.

Don’t take the bait of offense.  Don’t let it wrap around your heart and strangle your dreams or put out your fire.

I am praying that the Lord will ignite my daughter’s once more.  For I feel that she has a great purpose!

I Corinthians 16:9
For a wide door of opportunity for effective service has opened (great and promising) and with it, many adversaries (opponents)



No comments:

Post a Comment