Monday, August 5, 2013

Double-Decker Living


The offer came much quicker than we had expected.  Time to buy boxes and tape, ready the sharpie, and set to packing.


God had placed on my heart and mind the notion to list our house for sale.  But never did we believe that it would sell in 36 hours.  And while, yes, that is very much a blessing, it came with a hearty helping of stress and anxiety.

With less than 30 days to find and move to a rental house, the journey back in time began.  We had worked hard for years to establish good credit and build the equity in our home; we had increased our square footage with each new move, finally feeling like we had “arrived”; and, we had.

How odd it felt to begin to sell our furnishings and take load after carload to donation centers so that we could downsize to fit back into a home the size of that in which we first began.

Days before the move, our oldest daughter left for college, leaving our younger daughter alone upstairs in our large two-story home.  Even though only one person had vacated, the echo left behind was enormous.  We did want to downsize.  But this wasn’t quite how I pictured it.

Moving day came and I answered the door to three hearty, heavy lifters who began to reposition our lives.  I was still trying to box and label the last remains of our “big” life, praying that God would sustain me through this weary process.

Trip after trip, my hearty, heavy lifters marched in and out, strategically choosing each piece of the puzzle to place on their truck.

As the last load left the doorway, I stood in the cavernous space of this home we once chose, recalling the day we moved in.  What an odd circumstance, it might seem to some, to give up the dream home for a whispered voice.  I felt no regret or sorrow, only the fatigue of the physical.  I was at peace, still.

The drive to unload was brief; barely enough time for anyone to really catch their breath.  As the doors to the box truck opened, the challenge began to disassemble this well packed puzzle of furniture and play a new game: “Double Decker Stack.”

My hearty hefters were happy to hear that I was not too particular about where to place the furniture, but rather “fitting” the furniture in the house.  I stood in the middle of this 1650 sq. ft. rental pointing to one side or the other of the living area.  Boxes were clearly marked for one of the three bedrooms.  The rest was stacked in the garage.  The unload was definitely quicker.

As the empty truck pulled away, I stood in the middle of the stacks.  Welcome to Double-Decker Living.  Most of what furnished our 3000 sq ft Dream Home, now formed a maze of chaos.  Boxes and furniture stacked nearly to the ceiling.

Somewhere in here, I need to find myself.

First order of business, ready the sheets and fall in!  I thank God for my soft mattress and commit my tomorrow to Him, as I know my head can no longer keep track of the many “to-do’s” that rattle about.

But as I drift off to sleep, My sweet Lord reminds me, that I am in His perfect plan; and I will rest well.

And I ponder this verse:

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I realize that this verse can often be quoted, but wait, here’s where I found new joy.

At the end of May, I resigned my teaching job to commit time to the Lord and to write and give my time to women’s ministry.  See how the next verses read: 12-13

Then you will call on Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek Me with all your heart.

Wait!  Is He speaking directly to me?   I mean, it fits my life exactly.

  • He has a plan for me (Jer 29:11): to sell my house and move me quickly to a new place.
  • Then I will call on Him, pray to Him and He will listen (Jer 29:12): I now have time to grow in Him and know Him deeper.
  • I will seek Him and find Him (Jer 29:13): As I learn more of Him, I will write and I can share Him with others 

How cool is God! 

He means for us to read the Bible and realize that it is His way of speaking to us personally!

My faith is in Him and His plans for my life.  There is no coincidence.  His plan is perfect and I will strive to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment